Here are a few useful resources for any independent filmmaker –
- No reason at all to pay for script software. This program does it all, is easy to use, and even including production breakdowns, storyboards, and basic schedules
- This is the first place to check for any filmmaking question. Although this site tends to focus on post-production you can find tutorials, articles, and forums on a vast spectrum of topics.
- Most comprehensive view of the independent film scene. This is where you get the news, but also great blogs & worthwhile contests
- A lot of info, guides, forums, and opinion articles
- There are other crowd-funding options but this is my favorite.
- Just as IMDB is the authority in movie credits, Withoutabox is the authority on film festivals. There is a venue for every project at every budget. Get your work out there.
- YouTube channel with huge variety of videos on every aspect of DIY budget indie filmmaking.
- A filmmaking community forum with topics on all production levels
- Good articles by writers with experience you can read about right on the site
- Excellent fiction writing resource
- Great for documentary or experimental projects this is an archive of moving images available for download, the majority of which are free and have unrestricted access.
Peter Broderick – Distribution Bulletins
- Peter Broderick has some of good advice for those who are navigating the wilds of distribution.
- A hub for global cinema, news, and cult films
Helpful Books to Read
SHOT BY SHOT â€“ Steven D. Katz
MASTER SHOTS â€“ Christopher Kenworthy
CINEMATIC STORYTELLING – Jennifer Van Sijll
GREENSCREEN MADE EASY â€“ Jeremy Hanke & Michele Yamazaki
ON FILM EDITING â€“ Edward Dmytryk
THE ANIMATOR’S SURVIVAL KIT – Richard Williams
ON THE SET by Paul J. Salamof
IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE – Walter Murch
PAINTING WITH LIGHT – John Alton
CASSAVETES ON CASSAVETES – John Cassavetes
SCULPTING IN TIME – Andrei Tarkovsky
REBEL WITHOUT A CREW – Robert Rodriguez
WHO THE DEVIL MADE IT – Peter Bogdanovich